It’s been two years since we first played BioShock on the Xbox 360, nearly a year for PLAYSTATION 3 owners. But now, BioShock 2 is incoming and it’s a multiplatform release this time. 2k sent out new multiplayer screens as well as a factsheet for the game itself, both single player and multiplayer. They’re after the jump.
It’s out on October 30th, Halloween weekend, for PS3 and 360. Novemeber 3rd for the US.
Title: BioShock® 2
Publisher: 2K Games
Developer: 2K Marin, 2K Australia and Digital Extremes
Platform: PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft, Windows-based PC
ESRB Rating: Not Yet Rated
Release Date: November 3, 2009
Web Site: http://www.bioshockgame.com
Step back into the unforgettable world of Rapture in BioShock 2, the next installment in the franchise that has won more than 50 Game of the Year Awards and has sold more than 2.5 million units worldwide. Developed by 2K Marin, 2K Australia and Digital Extremes, BioShock 2 provides players with the perfect blend of explosive first person shooter combat, compelling storytelling and intense multiplayer to form one of 2009’s most highly anticipated titles.
Set approximately 10 years after the events of the original BioShock, the halls of Rapture once again echo with sins of the past. Along the Atlantic coastline, a monster has been snatching little girls and bringing them back to the undersea city of Rapture. You are the very first Big Daddy as you travel through the decrepit and beautiful fallen city, chasing an unseen foe in search of answers and your own survival.
Multiplayer in BioShock 2 provides a rich prequel experience that expands the award winning BioShock gameplay. Set during the fall of Rapture, players assume the role of a Plasmid test subject in the underwater city that was first explored in the original BioShock. Players will need to use all the elements of the game’s toolset to survive as the full depth of the BioShock experience is refined and transformed into a unique multiplayer experience that can only be found in Rapture.
* Evolution of the Genetically Enhanced Shooter: Innovative advances bring new depth and dimension to each encounter. New elements, such as the ability to dual-wield weapons and Plasmids, allow players to create exciting combinations of punishment
* Return to Rapture: Set approximately 10 years after the events of the original BioShock, the story continues with an epic, more intense journey through one of the most captivating and terrifying fictional worlds ever created
* You Are the Big Daddy: Take control of BioShock’s signature and iconic symbol with the original prototype Big Daddy, and experience the power and raw strength of Rapture’s most feared denizens as you battle powerful new enemies
* Continuation of the Award-Winning Narrative: New and unique storytelling devices serve as the vehicle for the continuation of one of gaming’s most acclaimed storylines
* Genetically Enhanced Multiplayer – Earn experience points during gameplay to earn access to new Weapons, Plasmids and Tonics that can be used to create hundreds of different combinations, allowing players to develop a unique character that caters to their playing style.
* Experience Rapture’s Civil War– Players will step into the shoes of Rapture citizens and take direct part in the civil war that tore Rapture apart.
* See Rapture Before the Fall – Experience Rapture before it was reclaimed by the ocean and engage in combat over iconic environments in locations such as Kashmir Restaurant and Mercury Suites, all of which have been reworked from the ground up for multiplayer.
* FPS Veterans Add Their Touch to the Multiplayer Experience – Digital Extremes brings more than 10 years of first person shooter experience including development of award-winning entries in the Unreal® and Unreal Tournament® franchise.
2K Marin is 2K’s new Northern California-based development studio with a focus on continuing development on the award-winning BioShock franchise alongside its sister studio 2K Australia. Having recently completed development on the PLAYSTATION 3 system version of BioShock, 2K Marin is currently focused on development for BioShock 2 for the PLAYSTATION 3 system, the Xbox 360 and Windows-based PCs.
Located in Canberra, Australia, 2K Australia is the renowned 2K studio that is working closely with 2K Marin on development of BioShock 2. As the sister studio of 2K Marin, 2K Australia continues to work on the development of new and existing IP for 2K Games, including the award-winning BioShock franchise. In addition to BioShock and BioShock 2, 2K Australia has contributed to popular titles such as System Shock 2 and Freedom Force.
Founded in 1993 by industry visionary, James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world’s top independent development studios in the interactive entertainment industry. The Canadian based developer is known for its high quality, technologically innovative productions such as the co-creation of Epic Games’ multi-million unit selling, Unreal® franchise, including the award-winning Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Unreal Championship brands; the technical marvel, Dark Sector® utilizing the proprietary Evolution Engine™ as well as co-development of top-selling and critically acclaimed, BioShock® for PLAYSTATION®3 system. Digital Extremes recently expanded its reach beyond development with the licensing of its Evolution Engine™. For more information on the studio or its technology, please visit www.digitalextremes.com.